Review: Kill the Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky

Kill the Boy BandKill the Boy Band by Goldy Moldavsky

Publication Date: February 23, 2016
Page Count: 320
Published by: Point
Source: Borrowed from Library


Synopsis from Goodreads:

From debut author Goldy Moldavsky, the story of four superfan friends whose devotion to their favorite boy band has darkly comical and murderous results.

Okay, so just know from the start that it wasn't supposed to go like this. All we wanted was to get near The Ruperts, our favorite boy band.

We didn't mean to kidnap one of the guys. It kind of, sort of happened that way. But now he's tied up in our hotel room. And the worst part of all, it's Rupert P. All four members of The Ruperts might have the same first name, but they couldn't be more different. And Rupert P. is the biggest flop out of the whole group.

We didn't mean to hold hostage a member of The Ruperts, I swear. At least, I didn't. We are fans. Okay, superfans who spend all of our free time tweeting about the boys and updating our fan tumblrs. But so what, that's what you do when you love a group so much it hurts.

How did it get this far? Who knows. I mean midterms are coming up. I really do not have time to go to hell.

 photo MyThoughtsBanner2_zps1bk1ovpj.png

Kill The Boy Band was utterly ridiculous and outrageous, yet I found it highly enjoyable! It's hard to take the story too seriously, but the author portrayed the overwhelming (overbearing?) and obsessive fandom quite well, and in a really funny way.

I didn't really care for any of the characters. The over the top behavior of the 4 girls was really something else. They didn't do anything half way, and the outcome was always unpredictable. Things got out of hand pretty early on with the kidnapping, and quickly went downhill from there. While I loved the story of how The Ruperts were formed, I found the boys to be shallow and self-centered.

I live with a fangirl, so I have firsthand knowledge of what it's like. I fully support and encourage her, and her enthusiasm is infectious. Thankfully, my daughter is not over the top cray-cray on the social media scene, but she loves her Tumblr and she likes being 'in the know.' If she ever met any of the boys, she'd probably go into shock and lose all ability to move or speak, so I wouldn't have to worry about her kidnapping anyone. Although.... she'd probably be able to talk me into helping her with it.

With an unreliable narrator, backstabbing best friends, and drama overload, Kill The Boy Band was a dark and twisted story. Oddly enough, I found it to be quite humorous at times, and I loved the 80's teen movie references. I was thoroughly entertained while reading, but this book definitely blurs the lines of reality, even for fangirls. I know this book won't be for everyone, but I enjoyed it.

 photo 4 star WfW_zpsohgdf5sv.png
My rating: 4 stars

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, sometimes it is neat to read a book that is self-aware, and kind of a paraody of its own genre. With a title like "Kill the Boy Band" I wouldn't expect anything other than absurdly emotionally charged young women and over the top insanity XD Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.