Review: Northanger Abbey (Jane Austen: Marvel Adaptations) Graphic Novel

Northanger AbbeyNorthanger Abbey (Jane Austen: Marvel Adaptations) by Nancy Butler, Janet Lee (Illustrator), Jane Austen (Original novel)

Publication Date: September 19, 2012
Page Count: 112
Published by: Marvel
Source: borrowed from library

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Lovingly adapted from Jane Austen's most humorous work, Marvel Comics is proud to present literature lover Catherine Morland's quest to be the leading lady of her own great romance. Can real life prove the equal of the Gothic novels she finds so enchanting? Can Catherine find true love amid the fictions of others and her own wild imagination? And what dread secrets lie in wait in Northanger Abbey itself? Award-winning author Nancy Butler continues her quest to reinvent Jane Austen's Regency world in the Mighty Marvel Manner. With exquisite illustrations from Janet Lee, 19th-century England comes alive like never before. Discover - along with Catherine Moreland - that while truth may not be stranger than fiction, it can be no less surprising!

 photo MyThoughtsBanner2_zps1bk1ovpj.png

I've never especially enjoyed Northanger Abbey. I tried reading it once, but I didn't get very far. I've seen the movie (maybe more than one movie?) but it's never inspired me to want to read the entire book. I thought I would try this graphic novel to see if I could get into the story and like it better than the movie. My experiment failed.

I can appreciate the artistry that went into creating this graphic novel, but the style was just too dark and gloomy for my taste. I also had a bit of a hard time following along, even though it was adapted directly from the original story. I didn't like that the writing was SO small I had strain my eyes to read it.

So I can safely say that I won't be picking up Northanger Abbey to read any time soon since the graphic novel was so uninspiring.

 photo 3 star WfW_zpsgrskuj2d.png
My rating: 2.5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.