Movie Review: 50 First Dates


Title: 50 First Dates
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Director: Peter Segal
Runtime: 99 minutes
Starring: Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore
Release Date: February 13, 2004

Tagline: Henry Roth is a man afraid of commitment up until he meets the beautiful Lucy. They hit it off and Henry think he's finally found the girl of his dreams, until he discovers she has short-term memory loss and forgets him the very next day.

The Good:

I love this movie beyond reason. I get it out at least twice a year because it's one of those feel good movies that always brings a smile to my face. Love it! Love Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore together again. I think they're so cute in this movie, even if the acting isn't the greatest. At least Drew brings up Adams's cuteness factor, because Adam by himself is just a dork.

Realistically, the story is completely implausible. But Henry loving Lucy so much that he gets her to fall in love with him every day is totally romantic, and definitely a bit swoony. Wouldn't we all want to be loved like that?


The Bad:

It's Adam Sandler, so you just know there's going to be some bad. And it's really bad. I wish Rob Schneider hadn't even been in this movie. His part totally ruins everything. It's like slamming the brakes on every time the story starts to get romantic or meaningful. It's as if they tried to throw in inappropriate and immature one liners to make the movie funny. But it's funny on it's own without the distraction of a side story that does nothing to move the plot forward. So the best way to watch this movie is with the remote firmly in your grip so you can just fast forward the goofy crap and get straight to the good stuff.

Final Thoughts:

50 First Dates is a feel good rom-com that is definitely worth watching. I loved Henry's persistence and dedication to win Lucy's heart. And the ending makes the whole movie worthwhile.

Some of my favorite quotes:

Lucy: "Nothing beats a first kiss."

Nick: "Hey, Peanut Butter Cups!"

Marlin (Lucy's dad): "She only sings on days when she meets you."

Henry: "The Beach Boys? How nice of that man to give me a CD that will remind me of all the wonderful times I shared with his daughter. What an asshole!!!!"

*Movie Reviews inspired by Pinkindle Reads & Reviews Chick Lit Fridays.

4 comments:

  1. I adore this movie! It's so cute, and definitely one of my favorites with Adam Sandler. I totally agree about the humor though; sometimes it's a bit much.

    Angie @ Pinkindle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually like all their movies together but I agree, there are always things that don't need to be in them. Glad you did like this though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were great together in The Wedding Singer. Blended was okay, but still had some really silly moments that I don't always enjoy.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.