Review: A Fractured Light by Jocelyn Davies

A Fractured Light (A Beautiful Dark, #2)A Fractured Light by Jocelyn Davies

Publication Date: September 25, 2012
Page Count: 352 pages
Format: Hardcover
Published by: Harper Teen
Source: Borrowed From Library

Synopsis From Goodreads:

When she wakes up in unfamiliar surroundings, Skye knows something terrible has happened to her. It's not until she hears Asher, the dark, rebellious angel she fell in love with, that the memories come flooding back. She tries to put the past behind her, but she knows she'll be forever haunted by the ruthless betrayal that almost took her life.

Skye returns home, but with the knowledge of who she really is, nothing can ever be the same. As she tests the limits of her newfound powers, Skye discovers that she's capable of far more than anyone could have imagined. Both the Order and the Rebellion want her for their side as war between the factions looms. She can't forget the terrifying truth she now knows about the Order, but something holds her back from embracing the Rebellion.

My Thoughts:

A Fractured Light is the second book in a series. Sadly, it was mostly filler, and not much terribly exciting happened. The protagonist, Skye, spends most of her time attempting to get her powers under control and trying to decide which side she should choose - the light or the dark. The good or the bad. The Rebellion or The Order.

Skye changed a bit in this book, and I was glad to see her start to grow up. She makes a good attempt at trying to determine her own destiny. I enjoyed following Skye as she discovered her true powers, and I found myself sympathizing with her when she realized just how important she could be to both The Rebellion and to The Order.

I honestly don't remember how much I liked Asher in the first book. But I do know that I didn't particularly care for him in A Fractured Light. I can't put my finger on exactly why, it just seemed that he and Skye didn't have a great connection or fit together very well. And it seemed as though he was trying just a little too hard to get Skye on his side, so I don't feel as though he should be trusted. Devin is obviously conflicted about his decision to follow orders and harm Skye in A Beautiful Dark, but what's stopping him from trying it again? I don't see how Skye can ever forgive him or trust him again.

I thought the writing was only so-so. The pacing was a bit slow and there was little to no action, but it did hold my interest enough to keep reading. Or I kept reading because I just had to find out what happened next. Whatever the reason, the writing wasn't exceptional by any means, but it wasn't completely terrible either. The plot really doesn't move forward as much as I thought it would. However, there were a couple of revelations and some nice plot twists that kept things interesting. The storyline did pick up a bit at the very end, Skye (finally!) decides to make a decision, and things are set up for the final book.

Overall, I thought the book was just okay. I enjoyed the first book and I had been looking forward to reading this one to find out what was going to happen next. But not much did happen, so that was a bit disappointing. There were a few enjoyable moments, and a few WTF moments. I will still read the next book to find out what happens, I just hope things pick up and get more interesting.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Purchase at the Book Depository / Add To Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.