Review: Now and Forever by Susane Colasanti

Now and ForeverNow and Forever by Susane Colasanti

Publication Date: May 20, 2014
Page Count: 272
Published by: Viking Juvenile
Source: Borrowed from Library

Synopsis from Goodreads:

What if your boyfriend was the world's biggest rockstar?

Sterling is crazy in love with Ethan. Not only is he the sweetest boy she's ever met, but he's an incredibly talented guitarist, singer, and songwriter. And since forever, he's believed he has what it takes to be a star.

When Ethan becomes an overnight sensation, he's thrown head-first into the glam world of celebrity-and so is Sterling. Before she knows it, she's attending red-carpet premieres, getting free designer clothes, and flying around the country to attend Ethan's monumental sold-out concerts.

It's a dream come true...but whose dream is Sterling living? And what do you do when "forever" comes to an end?

 photo picadillypink.png

I really wanted to like this book more than I did. Not that it was completely bad, I just didn't think it was 'all that'. I've read plenty of Susane Colasanti's books, so I knew what I was getting into. I had been anticipating reading this for a while, so I guess I was just expecting more.

When we first meet Sterling and Ethan, they are already a couple. A newly established couple, but already committed and enjoying their relationship. I felt a little cheated out of the 'getting to know you phase.' A lot of what we learn about Ethan is told to us, but I would have preferred seeing it firsthand so I could form my own opinion about him. I really thought Sterling, Ethan, and their friends were all shallow and immature. I hate to say that's how I felt about them. I don't think they were meant to be portrayed that way, it's just how they came across to me.

I didn't enjoy the 'Ethan is a rock star' aspect. All he ever wanted was fame, and he wasn't too particular about how he got it. The whole storyline wasn't believable because there is no way he went from total obscurity to superstar practically overnight. Releasing an album within months, and selling out stadiums on a major tour. Also, he danced, had choreography, and backup dancers, so to me that rings more like Pop music than Rock. Am I being nitpicky? You betcha. Any way you look at it, all of it together was difficult for me to fathom. I usually like my contemporary books to be realistic and make sense, and this one didn't.

I think my main problem with this book was that I didn't really like Sterling or Ethan, so I didn't care what happened to them. This story is from Sterling's POV, but I thought her perspective was skewed because she was too close to see things clearly.

You should give Now and Forever a chance if you can get past lines like "I. Am. Melting." in the doorway, in the hall, on the couch, or in the car - wherever her virulent boyfriend happened to kiss Sterling senseless. I quickly grew tired of Sterling's 'I can't believe MY BOYFRIEND is the world's biggest rock star' attitude. Even though Sterling and Ethan were high school seniors, this book seems like it is geared more towards young teens. And it's a pretty clean read, with only references of hooking up.

This book really had so much potential, but the characters and story just fell completely flat. I needed to feel more for the characters and the story, and it just didn't happen. I'm giving this one 3 stars, but only because I'm feeling generous today.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
 photo pink2.png

1 comment:

  1. I have my ups and downs with this author. Sometimes I'll love her books and sometimes I'm like blah! This seems more like a blah book to be honest. Also I don't think I'm into rockstar guys in my contemporary books. I really liked Keep Holding On.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.