Waiting On Wednesday (775) Too Close to Home (Whitton & Black Mystery #1) by C.F. White

Expected Publication: September 25, 2026
Genre: MM, Romance


Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event that is hosted by Tressa at Wishful Endings
that spotlights upcoming releases that we are eagerly anticipating.
(WoW was previously hosted by Breaking The Spine.)

This is my favorite day of the week because I love sharing and discovering new books.

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Starting over might mean getting too close.

When DI Harrison Black transfers from the Met to the small Yorkshire town of Hartswick, he’s chasing distance—from London, guilt, and the grief of losing his husband. He expects a quieter life.

Instead, within hours of his arrival, a seventeen-year-old girl vanishes on a woodland path, plunging Harrison straight into a case with a chilling echo. Thirteen years earlier, another young woman disappeared from the very same place. Robyn Whitton was never found. Her brother Jake never stopped looking for her.

Jake Whitton is everything Harrison should keep at arm’s length. Roofer. Drummer. Ex-con. Local troublemaker with a temper and absolutely no faith in the police. He’s also fiercely loyal, infuriatingly persistent, and determined to involve himself in Harrison’s investigation whether Harrison likes it or not.

Jake knows better than to trust a copper. The police failed Robyn. Then they failed him. And DI Harrison Black, with his quiet authority, wedding ring and grief he wears like armour, should be the last man capable of getting beneath Jake’s skin.

As a present-day disappearance drags Robyn’s cold case back into the light, Harrison and Jake are pulled closer together, blurring the line between professional and personal. Because Harrison isn't only getting dangerously close to a man connected to his investigation.

He might finally be getting close to the truth. And in a town that has kept its secrets for thirteen years, someone will do anything to make sure they stay buried.


New to me author and the first book in a trilogy, so hopefully this book goes well and I can continue reading. I can't tell you how many series I have given up on after reading the first book. If I'm not invested in the story or not interested in the characters, it's bye bye for me. I've got no time to spare for mediocrity! (Not that I haven't read my share of duds, because I have, mostly because I hate to DNF anything if I can help it.)

Also, Happy 29th Birthday to my daughter. Bad Mom moment - for a hot minute I thought she was turning 28. She wasn't pleased with me. Jeez, it's been a rough freaking year and I'm just trying to survive out here!!

What are you waiting on this week?

1 comment:

  1. Nice pick! That's a new to me one. I hope this author becomes a new favorite for you! In a few years, your daughter will thank you for thinking she was a year younger than she actually is. She just doesn't realize it yet. Lol.

    Here's my CWW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.