Review: Death and the Girl Next Door by Darynda Jones

Death and the Girl Next Door (Darklight, #1)Death and the Girl Next Door by Darynda Jones

Publication Date: October 2, 2012
Page Count: 274
Format: ebook
Published by: St. Martin's Press

Synopsis From Goodreads:

Ten years ago, Lorelei's parents disappeared without a trace. Raised by her grandparents and leaning on the support of her best friends, Lorelei is finally beginning to accept the fact that her parents are never coming home. For Lorelei, life goes on.

High school is not quite as painful as she thinks it will be, and things are as normal as they can be. Until the day the school's designated loner, Cameron Lusk, begins to stalk her, turning up where she least expects it, standing outside her house in the dark, night after night. Things get even more complicated when a new guy—terrifying, tough, sexy Jared Kovach—comes to school. Cameron and Jared instantly despise each other and Lorelei seems to be the reason for their animosity. What does Jared know about her parents? Why does Cameron tell Jared he can't have Lorelei? And what will any of them do when Death comes knocking for real? Thrilling, sassy, sexy, and inventive, Darynda Jones's first foray into the world of teens will leave readers eager for the next installment.

 photo picadillypink.png
This was my first Darynda Jones book, and it was such a quick and entertaining read. I was disappointed that the book ended just when things started getting interesting. It did take a little while for me to really get into the story, and there were times when I was confused about what was going on. But as I continued reading, things starting making more sense. The story moved along so quickly that I felt I was missing key moments, but I don't know if that was due to Jones' writing style, or if the quick pacing of the book didn't allow for more clarification.

I enjoyed the friendship between Lorelei and her 2 best friends, Brooklyn and Glitch. They are a lively and humorous bunch, and I thought they were extremely likable. Cameron's sudden and very apparent stalking of Lorelei - and her acceptance of it - did seem a little weird to me. The appearance of Jared complicated things. And the fact that Cameron seems to already know and hate Jared only added to the intrigue. With both guys showering Lorelei with attention, I am happy to say that there was no love triangle!

Strange things begin happening that involve Lorelei, Jared, and Cameron. Both boys attempt to keep Lorelei in the dark about what is really going on. Somehow, she manages to keep her shit together, even when faced with her own death. It was a bit frustrating at times because I know I would have been freaking out and demanding answers. I wanted Lorelei to pursue getting some answers for herself, but she was very accepting of what was presented to her by these 2 crazy guys. And no matter how BAD Jared clearly is, Lorelei only sees the good in him (and how hot he is). Sadly, I really didn't enjoy their insta-love. Maybe it was just me, or because the story went by so fast, but their relationship felt rushed and not well developed.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book. I thought it was a good beginning to a new series. I can't wait to read the next book and find out more about Lorelei, Cameron, and Jared.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
 photo pink3.png

(While I love this cover, it's not at all how I picture the characters.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.