Review: The Last Boyfriend by J.S. Cooper

The Last Boyfriend (Forever Love, #1)The Last Boyfriend (Forever Love #1) by J.S. Cooper

Publication Date: May 7, 2013
Page Count: 214, Kindle Edition
Published by: Self Published via Amazon Digital Services
Source: purchased


New Adult Contemporary Romance
**Mature Content** Recommended for ages 17+ due to sexual situations and language.

Synopsis From Goodreads:

Lucky Morgan has had her share of heartbreak. She is devastated when her boyfriend dumps her after sleeping with him and she vows to herself that she won't be used again. She decides that the next guy she dates and sleeps with, will be her one true love.

Zane Beaumont is the mysterious and snooty guy that comes into her diner every Friday night with a different girl. He's the type of guy she's learned to avoid: carefree, fast, handsome, rich, and sarcastic. Unfortunately, she can't stop thinking about the devilish gleam in his eyes.

When Lucky's car breaks down one night after a party, it is Zane who comes to her rescue. As Zane attempts to sweep Lucky off of her feet, she soon realizes that nothing is as it seems and that Zane may very well be the guy for whom she changes the rules. That is until she meets Braydon.

 photo picadillypink.png

I really, really wanted to like The Last Boyfriend. (Have you read the synopsis? Have you seen that cover?) I read the first chapter online, and I liked it enough that it made me want to read the entire story. After reading it I can admit that I was really let down, and I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped I would.

The premise sounds awesome, but there was something lacking in the execution. The characters were so underdeveloped. The plot was thin and full of holes. I'm thinking this story needs some editing, some cleaning up and tightening of the storyline, characters that are more fleshed out, and realistic dialogue. Then it would be an awesome book!

I thought I would love Zane, and I really tried to, but it just wasn't there for me. He was alright, but I didn't really find anything special about him. (I think I love the idea of Zane, the Zane that's in my head and perfect. But I didn't connect with book Zane. Does that make any sense? And I know exactly where I found my Zane love. It was right HERE.)

I found Lucky to be just silly and whishy-washy with her behavior. She needs to stop changing her mind every 5 seconds. I probably would have liked her if she was actually independent and could take care of herself, and if she could stick by her decisions.

There was zero chemistry between Zane and Lucky. With no build-up and no romance, I didn't feel invested in their relationship. They also drove me nuts with their back and forth decisions and actions. They had no idea what they really wanted from each other. Most of the time I found them to be superficial, and they lacked any real personality. Some of their dialogue really made me cringe. And there are too many silly conversations that take place throughout the story.

Overall, it's not a completely terrible book, it's just not well written. Despite all of it's shortcomings, I haven't decided yet if I want to continue reading this series. I admit that I am intrigued by the storyline, and there is definitely potential there. I just hope I don't have to suffer through another 'meh' book to find out what happens next.

My rating: 2 of 5 stars
 photo pink2.png

4 comments:

  1. Well Sandra, this is disappointing.
    It does look really good, so I hoped it would be better
    Anyways, great review
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I will read the next book in this series because I am interested in:
      A) the story
      B) seeing if the writing improves

      Delete
  2. Oh that sucks. I've heard a mixed bag of feelings on this one. I'm not a big fan of unrealistic dialogue because it makes me cringe sometimes. Not sure if I'll give this one a shot in the future. Hope you find better luck with your next read ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the dialogue.... not so good. I really hate saying anything bad about a book that I wanted to like.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.