Series Saturday

I have a love-hate relationship with series (I much prefer stand alones.) I have a tendency to really like the first book in a series, but by the time the sequel is released, I've moved on to something else. I don't mean to do it, and I am attempting to stop this behavior. Really, I am! Today I am sharing my experiences with the Mara Dyer series by Michelle Hodkin.



When Unbecoming was released (way back in Sept. 2011) it was one of my most anticipated reads. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it, and it did not disappoint. One thing I really liked was that after I finished Unbecoming, I had absolutely no idea what the heck I just read! It was frustrating and confusing, but I still loved it! The mystery and the creepiness and WOAH that ending! I was all hyped up about the series, and I started looking forward to the release of Evolution (even though it was over a year away!)

BUT.... October 2012 came and went, Evolution was released, and I couldn't get my interest up enough to read it. There was just so much time between books that my interest waned. Now I find myself interested again because the release of the third book in the series is on the horizon. Retribution will be out in October, so I think I'll start back at the beginning and read Unbecoming again (just to refresh my memory.) Then I can read Evolution and Retribution at my leisure. I think that will make reading this series more enjoyable.

What about you? Have you started this series? What do you think about it?

8 comments:

  1. I read both books and I indeed have a love/hate relationship with them. They are so confusing and creepy, nothing is as it seems. This is great, but very frustrating. I just want to read the third one so bad to get some answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to find out what is going on with this series!

      Delete
  2. I read the first book, but not the second one...yet. I had it checked out from the library when it first came out, but didn't get to it in time and had to take it back. And then I just never got it out again. I'm with you. I want to finish the series with the third book releasing soon, but I"m not dying to get my hands on it or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same thing with the library book - it was due back before I got around to reading it, then I never checked it back out.

      Delete
  3. Ha, I'm terrible with series too - often I don't make it to the second book because I've forgotten the first one and I can't deal with being confused.

    I didn't actually like Unbecoming very much, although I can see why other people did :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have SO many series that I started, liked, but then never picked up the next book.... I don't know what's wrong with me. lol

      Delete
  4. I'm totally in love with this series. I think Hodkin is really good at using reoccurring symbols and subtle foreshadowing (I reread the first book again after the 2nd book came out and my mind was blown). While I'm also a little confused about what EXACTLY is going on, I think it's all going to come together when the 3rd book is finally released and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I am interested in this series again, I can't wait to read all 3 books and find out what the heck is going on.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.