Review - Black Heart by Holly Black

Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)Black Heart (Curse Workers #3) by Holly Black

Publication Date: April 3, 2012
Page Count: 296
Published by: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Source: Library

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Cassel Sharpe knows he’s been used as an assassin, but he’s trying to put all that behind him. He’s trying to be good, even though he grew up in a family of con artists and cheating comes as easily as breathing to him. He’s trying to do the right thing, even though the girl he loves is inextricably connected with crime. And he’s trying to convince himself that working for the Feds is smart, even though he’s been raised to believe the government is the enemy.

But with a mother on the lam, the girl he loves about to take her place in the Mob, and new secrets coming to light, the line between what’s right and what’s wrong becomes increasingly blurred. When the Feds ask Cassel to do the one thing he said he would never do again, he needs to sort out what’s a con and what’s truth. In a dangerous game and with his life on the line, Cassel may have to make his biggest gamble yet—this time on love.


My Thoughts:

Aw. Why does this series have to end? I want to keep reading more. If you enjoyed White Cat and Red Glove I think you will also enjoy Black Heart. It is a very satisfying ending to this series.

Holly Black created a seemingly realistic world that is actually paranormal. The writing is just so good and effortless you don't even realize that it's not all true. The events happen at a good pace and the suspense really keeps you on your toes trying to guess what will happen next.

I love Cassel. He is extremely street smart, charming, and has a bit of snarkiness that comes out when he is nervous. I love that he is a flawed character - he knows it, and while he doesn't like that about himself, he has come to accept it and makes no apologies for it. Cassel has grown as a character since the first book. He is so much more comfortable with his ability. He tries so hard to stay on the right side of the law, but things always seem to catch up with him. It's hard not to want him to always choose to do the right thing.

I think this was a great ending to a fantastic series. Although I do feel that there is enough storyline and plenty of characters left to explore to continue the series.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely a wonderful ending to an amazing series! I think book two was my favorite. I will be reading these over and over in the future. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely review. I haven't read this series yet but I will try it out for sure in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the first one in the series, but not the second one. I wish I had read it. This book sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I love Holly Blacks other books, havent read these yet but Ive added book 2 and 3 to my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.