Review: Falling For You by Lisa Schroeder

Falling For YouFalling For You by Lisa Schroeder

Publication Date: January 1, 2013
Page Count: 355
Format: Hardcover
Published by: Simon Pulse
Source: Library

Synopsis From Goodreads:
Rae's always dreamed of dating a guy like Nathan. He’s nothing like her abusive stepfather—in other words, he’s sweet. But the closer they get, the more Nathan wants of her time, of her love, of her...and the less she wants to give.

As Rae’s affection for Nathan turns to fear, she leans on her friend Leo for support. With Leo, she feels lighter, happier. And possessive Nathan becomes jealous.

Then a tragedy lands Rae in the ICU. Now, hovering between life and death, Rae must find the light amid the darkness…and the strength to fight for life and the love she deserves.

 photo picadillypink.png

Falling For You is definitely a dark and emotional contemporary novel. The story begins with the protagonist, Rae, in the hospital. The story then goes back 5 months to the beginning and leads up to the events that result with Rae fighting for her life.

Rae had a pretty depressing home life. (I know I would have been depressed if I had to live like that, but maybe that's just me.) Rae's stepfather is a real piece of crap, and her mother is whiny and clingy and needs a man in her life, so she puts up with his various shortcomings. As the story progresses, the step-father's asshole tendencies increase to the point where I couldn't understand why the mother would want him around, especially knowing how he was treating her daughter. A small part of me was disappointed that Rae couldn't figure out how to stand up for herself against her step-father. On the other hand, I understood that it was hard for Rae because her own mother condoned and supported the step-father's behavior. Despite her less than happy home life, Rae still tried to be positive, and I liked that about her.

When Rae meets a new boy at school, Nathan, they fall into an uneasy relationship that pretty much goes downhill from the beginning. We learn that Nathan has troubles at home also, but he deals with his problems differently than most. Rae attempts to distance herself from Nathan because she really needs to deal with her own troubles. Nathan's downward spiral into possessive and stalkerish behavior was a little over the top, and it seemed to me that it came on quite suddenly.

Rae works at a local florist, and counts her boss and co-workers as her friends. I was glad that Rae had their friendships and support when she needed them most. Leo works next door at the coffee shop, and he and Rae have budding friendship going on. Leo was a huge bright spot in this book - both for Rae and for the reader. I adored Leo and I would have loved to know more about him. He was smiley and happy and easy to be around, and Rae found herself constantly drawn to him.

Falling For You was well-written and had the perfect blend of prose and poetry. I really enjoyed the mystery surrounding how Rae ended up in the hospital. I liked the way the story switched from past to present in a way that flowed and was understandable. The story comes to a climax and we see how Rae has become a victim to the actions of those around her. I couldn't help but want Rae to have a happy ending, but I wasn't sure how that was going to happen.

Overall, I really enjoyed the ups and downs I felt while reading Falling For You. It's definitely an issue book with lots of family and relationship problems, and according to the author, "themes of darkness and light".

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
 photo pink4.png

Challenges:
Contemporary Reading Challenge
Stand Alone Reading Challenge

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this book. I loved the only book I read from her and am excite to dive into a new one. great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book definitely caught my eye but it seems pretty sad. I have to be in just the right mood to read something like this. I haven't read this obviously, but the description and what you said in your review kind of reminds me of Dreamland by Sarah Dessen. Have you read that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have read Dreamland (such a misleading title!) For most of Falling For You, it's not quite as dark as Dreamland. You can't help but have some happiness while working at a florist and having Leo as a friend! I didn't like the protagonist in Dreamland because she was spineless without reason. Rae, on the other hand, is at least trying to get out from under the oppression. I am a big fan of libraries - you should see if your local library has a copy of this to borrow.

      Delete
  3. I've seen this book mentioned in quite a few blog posts but I'd never considered it to be something I'd want to read, but after reading your review, I think I'm definitely willing to give it a proper chance. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definitely read it and let me know what you think.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.