Review: Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt


Going VintageGoing Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

Publication Date: March 26, 2013
Page Count: 320
Format: eARC from publisher
Published by: Bloomsbury


Synopsis From Goodreads:

When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars). The List:
1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous
But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.

 photo picadillypink.png

Going Vintage was just what I expected from the cover and the synopsis - a super cute, funny, and sweet contemporary novel that had just enough depth to really satisfy me.

Shortly after Mallory discovers that her long-time boyfriend is cheating on her online, she comes across a notebook that belonged to her grandmother. Inside the notebook are lists that Mallory's grandmother wrote when she was a teenager. One of the lists inspires Mallory to take action and change her life for the better. Mallory naively believes that things were easier when her grandmother was 16 because of the lack of technology. So Mallory decides to live her life like it's 1962 - with as little modern technology as possible. I loved that Mallory was able to learn about herself and what she wants out of life while she attempted to complete the items on her list. She didn't let Jeremy's betrayal bring her down, and she was determined to be strong and prove that she could do something worthwhile.

I really loved the characters in Going Vintage. Mallory's younger sister, Ginnie, decides to help Mallory accomplish the items on her list. Mallory and Ginnie were very close, and I loved the support that Ginnie gave to Mallory. I felt that all of the family relationships were portrayed realistically. I loved the revelations that are made as Mallory spends quality time with her family. Mallory uncovers some things about her mother along the way. She also (unknowingly) forces her Grandmother to relive her past and face some harsh truths.

These are a few other things that I enjoyed about Going Vintage:
LISTS!!! There were lots and lots of lists.
Jeremy really WAS a tool!
Oliver was quirky and lovable AND adorable! And he had a terrific personality. But you probably knew that just from his name.

My favorite quote from Mallory:
"I thought The List was going to take me back to a simpler time, but in some ways it's just made my life more complicated."

I found the plot to be very interesting and the story moved along at the perfect pace. There was humor and snark and just a touch of conflict to keep things interesting. Overall, I thought Going Vintage was a fresh and fun contemporary story that I really enjoyed reading.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars
 photo pink4.png

Challenges:
Contemporary Reading Challenge
Stand Alone Reading Challenge

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see that you gave this one such a high rating! I wanna get my hands on this one. Sounds so good!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.