Tune In Tuesday (10)


Tune In Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by GReads. It's a great way to share songs that you love, new or old, and spread some music around the blogosphere!

Tune In Tuesday: My Teen Years Special Edition

The year: 1985
Me: 16 years old

Let me tell you a little story. My best friend and I obsessed over music together during our teen years. We started going to concerts together and we always had so much fun. In 1984, this guy named Julian Lennon came out with an album that we liked. You all know who Julian Lennon is, right? Then during the summer of 1985, we bought tickets to see Julian in concert at The Muny in Forest Park. (Forest Park hosted the 1904 World's Fair, and The Muny was built in 1917 and is still in use today.) We had decided to go see Julian because we liked him, obviously, but also because it was the closest we would ever get to John Lennon or The Beatles. Not long after we purchased our tickets, we found out that the night after Julian's concert, a group that I adored, The Outfield, would be in concert. We couldn't go to both concerts, so we consoled ourselves with the knowledge that The Outfield was opening for another huge act, so they would probably only have 5 songs or so, whereas Julian was the headliner and we would get to enjoy him longer.

The night of the concert arrives and we show up early because of the nice weather. We hang around for a while and then go find our seats... not bad, on the aisle about halfway back. We're sitting and chilling when down the center aisle come 2 men leading a blind man between them. I looked at my friend and she looked at me. Holy shit! It was 3 members of The Outfield! And they sat right in front of us! We freaked the shit out - silently - as we squeezed each others hands and did a very quiet squee of delight! I don't need to mention that we were raised right - our first thought was to NOT bother the band as they were obviously there to enjoy a concert. They were not there to entertain US and our schoolgirl crush, so we left them alone out of respect. It didn't take long for others in the crowd to approach the trio and demand autographs. It was pretty bad and I felt sorry for the guys - they lasted about 5 minutes before they got up and left. We were so bummed!. This would have been a really great story if they had been able to stay and we could say that we were that close to the guys for a whole concert. But this is all we were left with - thoughts of what could have been a great thing. So sad.

Julian Lennon - Valotte



Julian Lennon - Too Late For Goodbyes



I love The Outfield so much. Especially their first album, Play Deep. I listen to it all the time and it never gets old.

The Outfield - Your Love
(The 3 members of the band that we saw were the 2 blonde guitar players and the blind man on keyboards.)



The Outfield - Say It Isn't So



The Outfield - Everytime You Cry



The Outfield - All The Love



The Outfield - Since You've Been Gone

4 comments:

  1. I love the song Your Love. :-> I was too young to appreciate them back in the 80s, but I sure did love them when they replayed 80s hits during the 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's something that many people don't know how to do is to respect the famous people so they can enjoy themselves. I mean, with the pap and everything, they hardly have privacy, so why bother them when they're just trying to have fun right ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew Your Love was sung by The Outfield! I seem to know the words to it without really knowing why, probably courtesy of my mum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally know the Your Love song, but I had no idea who did it! They play that on a radio station here, it's pretty fantastic. I'm definitely a little young for these songs (I wasn't born until 1987!), but my brother is big on 80s and he plays a lot of these on his radio show.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. I hope you have a wonderful day.